Thursday, February 28, 2013

Southern Plate -- Peach Crisp


I was born in Pennsylvania, and moved to the South (more specifically, North Carolina) when I was almost 5.  As such, I was raised in the South, but I've never really embraced it enough to call myself a Southerner.  I also have weird Yankee tendencies that I have no reason to have, like calling the oblong things you put on ice cream "jimmies."

My point here is that even though I was raised here, I honestly have no idea whether or not the two recipes I chose out of this cookbook could be considered Southern cuisine, or if they're something that people anywhere eat.  Macaroni and cheese seems like a fairly universal kind of thing, but what about a peach crisp?

This recipe is super easy, and even Dennis, who doesn't really like peaches that much, enjoyed it.

(I realized after I'd planned to make this, the actual day I was planning to make it, that he doesn't like peaches.  When I told him what I was doing, he said he'd try it anyway, and it didn't kill him, so I consider that a win.  What a trooper.

This recipe is really easy and would be good for a last-minute potluck.

Peach Crisp

Serves 5

Ingredients


2 cans drained sliced peaches (I used the low-sugar kind)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oats (I used quick oats, but you can use old-fashioned if you'd like)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 stick softened butter


Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Put the peaches in an 8x8-inch pan.  (The original recipe said to "arrange" the peach slices, but after "arranging" a layer on the bottom of the dish, I just dumped in the rest.

In another bowl, mix together the butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, oats, and flour.  Spread this mixture on top of the peaches.

Bake for about 20 minutes until browned.

Serve warm.






Cross-posted on She Likes to Bake.