Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mediterranean Cookery: Poires au Vin (Pears in Wine)


This week, I'm delving into Mediterranean food with Mediterranean Cookery by Claudia Roden.  I didn't get too crazy, especially with this first recipe.

This makes for a really nice, super easy dessert.  It would probably be good with some vanilla ice cream, or maybe some honey Greek yogurt.  As it stood, we just ate them out of a bowl.

Literally, the hardest part about this recipe was trying to get a good picture of the finished product.  It's easy enough to just throw everything into a pot and forget about it for about an hour.  When these come out, they're so pretty.  (Also, if anyone knows an easy way to eat a whole, cooked pear, avoiding the core, let me know!)

(Also again, happy birthday to my mom!  It's her birthday today, and most likely, sometime later, I'll post the dessert I made for the occasion.)

Poires au Vin (Pears in Wine)
Serves 6

Ingredients



6 firm pears, peeled and left whole
One bottle inexpensive red wine (I used Trader Joe's Charles Shaw [aka Three Buck Chuck] Cabernet     Sauvignon)
1/2 cup sugar
4 cloves
1 vanilla pod

Put the pears in a pan with all remaining ingredients.  Add water, if necessary, to cover the pears completely.

Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, for about an hour until the pears are very tender but still hold their shape.  Carefully lift them out and arrange in a bowl.

Reduce the syrup further if necessary and pour over pears.  Serve cold.

I had the hardest time getting a good shot of the finished pears.  I think the third one is my favorite.