Friday, May 31, 2013

The Brokeass Gourmet: Seared Steak with Red Wine Sauce and Broccoli(ni)



I had never cooked flank steak before this recipe, and now I can't think of a single reason why.  (Except, of course, that the thought of cooking meat other than ground beef terrified me to my very soul because I'm always convinced I'm going to give someone salmonella or something.  Luckily, we got a meat thermometer, and I haven't looked back since.  If you don't have one of these, get one.)

The recipe (from this book) called for something called broccolini, but I had an influx of broccoli thanks to the weekly CSA box, and the recipe clarified that if I didn't have broccolini, I could use "regular broccoli."

So I did.

And it was amazing.

(Edit:  This recipe was featured during Tasty Tuesdays on Anyonita Nibbles.  Yay!)






Seared Steak with Red Wine Sauce and Broccoli

Serves 2


Ingredients


For the Steak:



1 8-oz. flank steak
Soy sauce
salt and pepper
Leaves of 1 thyme sprig

For the sauce:


I liked how this one looked without cropping it.  Look at me, being artsy!

6 sliced green onions (or chives as shown below)
1/2 bottle inexpensive red wine
1 stick unsalted butter
1 small bunch parsley, chopped


This is a 1/4 cup measuring cup, and this is how many chives I used. Not an exact measurement.


For the broccoli:


1 pound broccoli
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lemon, juiced


Place steak in a baking dish and brush with soy sauce.  Add thyme and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper to taste.  The recipe says to let stand for one hour; I did this prep during lunch and it sat for 4 hours.



Brush again with soy sauce and place on a hot pan over high heat for 3-4 minutes for medium steaks.  (Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side for well-done.)  Slice steak on the diagonal.

To make the sauce, combine green onions and wine in a medium saucepan and bring to a light boil.  Add butter and parsley and allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes.  (Note: After 2-3 minutes, my sauce was not thick enough to be considered sauce by me.  I reduced it for the entire time I was making the broccoli.  Your mileage may vary on this one.) 

Arrange your steak on a plate and spoon sauce over steak.

Full disclosure here:  This made a LOT of sauce.  A lot.  We didn't use half of it.  So unless you want your steak drowning in sauce or you want extra or whatever, you're probably not going to need to make the full amount.  I gave you the full amount, though, just in case.


To make the broccoli, place broccoli in a large pan and cover with water.  Cover the pan and bring to a boil.  Simmer for 6-7 minutes until tender and bright green.

Drain and set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat and add the garlic.  Cook for 1-2 minutes, then return broccoli to the pan.  Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and toss well to ensure that each piece is coated.