Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Methodist Week: Arnold Palmer Casserole



Welcome to Methodist Week, day 2! (See day 1 here.)

I don't know why this is called Arnold Palmer Casserole.  As far as I know, an Arnold Palmer is a drink that is half iced tea, half lemonade.  It's also this guy.  But for whatever reason, this is the Arnold Palmer Casserole.

It comes to us via this cookbook:



Millbrook United Methodist Church is in Raleigh, NC.  I've actually been there a few times, many, many years ago.  I never went to any potlucks or anything, but if this casserole is any indication, they're doing well, food-wise.

Just like I did on yesterday's post, I Googled the name of the person who submitted this recipe, Elsie Schuljan.  I came up with NOTHING.  I was hoping that there would be some kind of interesting backstory for at least a few of these, but so far, not much happening.

This casserole is weirdly good.  I say weirdly because you look at the ingredients and go, "Huh. . .OK."  But it's very tasty.  I halved this recipe, because the original serves 8, which would be appropriate for a church potluck, but maybe not so much for dinner at my house.

Arnold Palmer Casserole
Serves 4


Original recipe:



Ingredients


My version

2 Tbsp. butter
1 lb. ground beef
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
8 oz. tomato sauce
4 oz. sour cream
4 oz. cottage cheese
4 oz. cream cheese
2 Tbsp. chives, finely chopped
4 oz. egg noodles

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Cook egg noodles according to package directions.  Mix in 1 Tbsp. butter.

Melt 1 Tbsp. butter over medium-high heat.  Add beef, garlic salt, and pepper and cook until meat is browned.  Add tomato sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.

Mix cottage cheese, sour cream, and cream cheese with a fork in a separate bowl.  Add chives and mix well.  

In a 2-qt. casserole dish, layer meat, then noodles, then cheese mixture in layers, ending with meat.

I didn't quite have enough meat to cover the top layer, but I think ultimately, it turned out OK.



Bake uncovered for 30 - 40 minutes, checking at 30 minutes.  Enjoy with a real Arnold Palmer.  Or with Arnold Palmer himself, if he's willing to travel, or if you live in or near Orlando, FL.