Thursday, February 20, 2014

Joy the Baker Cookbook: Cinnamon Sugar Rice Pudding


So, I have issues with weirdly textured food.  I had a whole conversation with Dennis the other day about how I can't eat tapioca pudding because of the. . .tapioca.  I also can't drink bubble tea because the "bubbles" kind of freak me out.

All that being said, I almost couldn't eat this rice pudding.  I'd never made or had rice pudding before, and with the first bite, I paused, and had to think about it, but ultimately, it was pretty tasty.

It's good both hot and cold, and I did decide it was an acceptable breakfast food item.  You're just going to have to trust me on this one.

One other note:  I was going to just ignore the orange zest portion of the recipe, but if you're thinking that would be a good idea, it would not.  The orange adds a really great depth to this recipe.

This is the third and final recipe from The Joy the Baker Cookbook, and I hope you guys have enjoyed it as much as I have.  I love her blog, too, and you guys should check it out.  Next week, we're on to a new cookbook.  Can't wait!

Cinnamon Sugar Rice Pudding
From The Joy the Baker Cookbook
Makes 6 servings


Ingredients


2 cups water
1 tsp. orange zest
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup long grain rice
3 cups milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter

To put on top:
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 Tbsp. granulated sugar


Bring the water to a boil in a large pot over medium heat.  Once the water is boiling, add the rice, salt, and orange zest.  Stir.  

Bring this mixture to a boil again, cover the pot, and turn the heat down so the mixture can simmer.  Cook until the water is absorbed, which should take 13-15 minutes.

Remove the rice from the pot and place in a bowl.  Turn the stove to low heat, and, using the same pot you cooked the rice in, warm the milk, sugar, and cinnamon.  Whisk.

Once the sugar has dissolved, add the rice back to the pot.  Stir often as the rice becomes creamy.  This will take about 20 minutes.  When the rice is almost finished cooking, stir in the butter.  Remove the pot from the heat and allow the mixture to cool before serving.

Also before serving, mix together the cinnamon and sugar for the topping and sprinkle generously over the rice pudding servings.