Friday, March 21, 2014

Practical Paleo: Nutty Bacon Bark


Saved the best for last!  I've heard a lot of people say they're weary of Paleo because they'd have to cut everything good out of their diets.

Clearly, this is not so.

The recipe calls for sea salt, and I imagine the thicker bits of salt might make for a better contrast for these, but the kosher salt I used worked just fine.


Nutty Bacon Bark


Ingredients



1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 tsp. bacon grease (or coconut oil)
1/4 cup hazelnuts (toasted, if you'd like)
4 strips cooked bacon, chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or regular!)

Melt the chocolate chips, along with whatever grease you use, in the microwave for 30 seconds.  Remove and stir.  Continue microwaving in 10-second intervals, stirring after each, until chocolate is completely melted.

Spread the chocolate on parchment paper (or, if you're me without parchment paper, aluminum foil!) on a cookie sheet and set aside to cool.


When the chocolate has begun to set, but has not hardened completely, sprinkle the rest of the ingredients evenly over the top.  Allow to cool completely.  I put mine in the fridge to speed up the process.  (Also, I live in Southern California, so it was warm, and I could have been waiting a long time.)

Chop roughly before eating.