Friday, March 28, 2014

The Soup Mix Gourmet: Broccoli Cheese Soup



Every now and again, I make a recipe that I just don't know how I feel about it.  This recipe is one of those.

It wasn't bad.  It was actually pretty tasty.  But I'm not crazy about the consistency.  The amount of milk the recipe calls for (1/2 cup) is nowhere near enough.  If I would have stuck with the 1/2 cup, it would have been like eating paste.  Since I don't (generally) eat paste, that wouldn't have done at all.

I kept adding milk to it until it reached a less glue-like consistency.  I also needed to add more Tabasco than the recipe called for, and. . .I just don't know.

I would recommend trying this, and tweaking it in your own way.  Definitely have extra milk on hand, unless you enjoy eating paste.  (Which. . .no judgment here.  You do you.)


Broccoli Cheese Soup
Serves 4-6
From The Soup Mix Gourmet


Ingredients




2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups cooked broccoli
1 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
1/2 tsp. pepper, plus more to taste
2 cans Campbell's Cream of Celery Soup
10 shakes Tabasco sauce (even this much won't make it spicy.  Trust.)
At least 1 1/2 cups milk, plus more for consistency
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese


In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened. 

Add the broccoli and season with the measured salt and pepper.  Cook for about 3 minutes.

Add the soup, Tabasco, and milk, and bring soup to a boil.  Turn the heat down to low and add both cheeses.  Stir until melted.  Add milk as needed, and salt and pepper to taste.