Wednesday, April 16, 2014

15-Minute Low-Carb Recipes: Sour Cream(ed) Spinach


Oh, man.

I'm 2 for 2 in this cookbook.  Monday's chicken salad recipe was amazing, and now I have this faux-creamed spinach, and it was vaguely life-altering.

I'm a huge fan of creamed spinach -- I can eat piles of it.  I know, though, that there's enough fat in a normal batch to choke a horse, so while I'll eat tons of it. . .I'm very conscious of exactly what I'm eating.

This stuff, though. . .the author of the cookbook said of this recipe:  "My husband liked this so much, he yummed down the whole batch."

I was dubious.

And then I made it.

And I 'yummed' down the whole batch.

No regrets.  Plus, tons of Vitamin A!

I changed it up a little bit, using light sour cream instead of regular, and using 2/3 cup of it instead of the 1/3 the recipe called for.  The 1/3 just didn't have the consistency I was looking for, but 2/3 was perfect.

If you like creamed spinach, or if you're trying to convince someone else to like creamed spinach, try this recipe.  It's just awesome.

Sour Cream(ed) Spinach
Makes 3 servings (or 1 serving for me)
From 15-Minute Low-Carb Recipes

Ingredients



10-oz. package frozen spinach
1/4 of an onion
2 Tbsp. butter
2/3 cup light sour cream
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar


If you got a microwave-in-the-package spinach like I did, follow the instructions on the bag.  If not, unwrap spinach and put in a cover-able microwavable dish.  Add 2 Tbsp. water, cover, and microwave for 5 minutes.

Add the butter to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat.  Saute the onion in the butter.

When the spinach is cooked and the onion is, too, drain the spinach and add to the pan with the onion.  Stir to combine.

Stir in sour cream and vinegar, heat it through (don't let it get quite to a simmer), and serve.  Or eat it straight out of the pan.  No judgement here.