Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Magazines in May: Farmers' Market Squash Saute


My second Magazines in May offering was one that, for whatever reason, I kept putting off making.  I had all the ingredients sitting there. . .and sitting there. . .and sitting there.  Then the basil plant I bought for this and other recipes was knocked off the ledge on the porch and I didn't realize it until days later when it was all dirty and smooshed.

And then the remaining ingredients sat.  And sat.  And sat.

And then I did the prep for this recipe, sliced the squash and zucchini and. . .stuck it in the fridge.  Where it sat.  And sat.  And sat.

All of that to say, if you look at the picture of the ingredients and see that the squash looks dried out and frozen simultaneously. . .that's because it was.  I picked out the pieces of the squash that were edible, but there you go.

Also along the way, this became a Big Recipe Change recipe.  It's the same basic idea as the original, but I put in kale instead of basil, and instead of that canned Parmesan, I used fresh cheese.  I think it makes all the difference.  I also added oregano, and it really brought out the flavor.

Finally, if you've ever wondered exactly why hot olive oil freaks me out, it's because it pops when some things (for instance, partially frozen squash) touches it.  And this happens:


Those spots are hot olive oil.


Farmers' Market Squash Saute
Makes 4 servings
Inspired by Food & Family -- Summer 2008


Ingredients


2 zucchini, sliced
2 yellow squash, sliced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
2 cups kale, torn
3 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
2 tsp. oregano

Heat olive oil in large pan over medium-high heat.  Saute zucchini and squash in pan for 3 minutes.  

Add garlic, oregano, and kale.  Cook for 3 more minutes.

(Whoops!  Runaway squash!)

Remove from heat; stir in both cheeses.  Serve warm.