Friday, August 22, 2014

Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Cooking: Beefy Stew


I'm angry at this recipe.

I've already mentioned my feelings about the whole Semi-Homemade empire, so just allow me to expand here.

This recipe included using puff pastry to make lovely little puffy rounds, to go with this (ridiculous) "stew."  I don't know what went wrong, specifically, but instead of lovely little puffy rounds, I got these:




These are not lovely, puffy, or round.  (Admittedly, the "not being round" thing was because I couldn't find anything round to cut them with.  BUT STILL.  They could have at least had the decency to be lovely and puffy.)

And then, and then...

I made this "stew," grumbling to myself the whole time. (NOTE:  Yes, I realize I chose this recipe, but I needed something out of this book.  I don't think I really read the recipe through and understood what was going on until I made it.)  I served it.  Dennis ate some and was like, "This is...amazing.  This is so good."

. . . . . . . . . . . 

Of course it's good!  It's canned soup!

I told him, "Don't be too impressed with it," and he said, "Well, I know you were in there cooking for a while, and you cooked the meat.  So yeah, it's really good." 

I just can't, Sandra Lee.  I simply cannot.

So here you go.  Here's a "recipe" for "stew" sans lovely, puffy rounds.  I don't know why I don't have a picture of the finished product...rage-induced amnesia, perhaps.


Beefy Stew
Serves 4
From Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Cooking


Ingredients





1 1/2 lb. beef cube steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
Salt and pepper
2 Tbsp. flour
1/4 cup canola oil
2 cans vegetable soup
14-oz. cooking stock (You can use whatever: beef, vegetable, etc.  I used turkey, because it was on sale.)


Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper, then toss beef with flour to coat.

Heat the oil in a heavy pot over medium-high heat.  Cook the beef until brown.

Add the broth/stock and bring to a simmer.

Add the soup and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.

That's it.


____________________

One Year Ago:  No Post