Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Dinner Doctor: Grilled Caesar Chicken Salad



I know, I know.  I just did a "recipes from boxes in your pantry" book last week.  And I was irritated about it.

I guess the difference between this one and that one is that this one brands itself as a cookbook that "doctors canned, frozen, boxed, bagged, and ready-made deli food" into meals.  It's up-front and honest about what it is, and what it's doing, and it doesn't pretend that Velveeta is gourmet.

But I digress.

In the book, this recipe only has two ingredients.  Doesn't get much easier than that.  However, I decided to make this one into a chicken salad instead of just the chicken, and it was so good.  So good.  You don't have to have this one as a salad, but I highly recommend it.

I also didn't do all the pounding of the chicken that was called for, so I had thick chicken pieces that I honestly did not understand how they were so good.


Grilled Caesar Chicken Salad
Serves 2
From The Dinner Doctor


Ingredients

(Obviously, I took this picture before I decided to make this into a salad.)


1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken (The recipe calls for breast halves.  I used breast tenders.)
1 cup Caesar salad dressing (I and the recipe both recommend Newman's Own.)
Salad fixin's (The punctuation on this made me stare at it, hard, for like 5 minutes.)


Place the chicken in a large bowl (glass or ceramic preferably) and pour the dressing on it.  Make sure the chicken is well-covered.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or foil and place in the fridge.  Let marinade for at least 4 hours, or up to 24 hours.  (I did mine for roughly 24 hours.  I think leaving it in there longer is better.)

The recipe recommends using a real grill.  I used a George Foreman grill.

Shake excess marinade off and place chicken on grill/GFG.  

If you're using a grill, flip the pieces every couple of minutes to cook evenly.  

If you're using a GFG, close the lid until the chicken's internal temperature reaches at least 165°F.

Slice chicken, prepare salad if that's what you're doing, and serve.




____________________

One Year Ago:  No Post