Monday, September 1, 2014

The Biggest Loser 30-Day Jump Start: Doc's Chili


I wasn't 100% sure if this book qualified as a cookbook or not.  It's kind of a "jump start your weight loss" book that just happens to have recipes in it.  

I decided it was a cookbook, obviously, and was pleasantly surprised with the recipes I made out of it.

The only real anecdote I have for this story is that I was talking to my friend, Claire, about whether or not this qualified as a cookbook, and she told me that one year, her mom gave her a Biggest Loser cookbook as a birthday present.  Happy birthday indeed.

Since Claire also knows that it's my personal rule to cook at least one thing out of every cookbook I own, she threatened to send me that Biggest Loser cookbook so I would have to make something out of it.  I'm not sure if she was serious or not, but I guess we'll see.

(Oh yeah, and this chili is really good.  Dennis was a big fan, and he's kind of snobby when it comes to chili.)


Doc's Chili
Makes 12 1-cup servings


Ingredients



1 large onion, chopped
1 lb. ground turkey
1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
1 15-oz. can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup chicken broth
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. dried mustard powder
1/2 cup chopped green onions
Olive oil for cooking


Coat a large saucepan with olive oil.  Add the onions and cook over medium heat until soft.

Add the turkey and cook until no longer pink, 6 to 10 minutes.

Add tomatoes, pinto and black beans, broth, garlic, chili powder, oregano, cumin, and mustard powder.  Stir well.

Bring the pot to a boil over high heat, then reduce to low.  Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.  

Garnish with green onions before serving.



____________________

One Year Ago:  No Post