Monday, December 15, 2014

The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap: Mrs. Fields Cookie Book Double Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies



This year, I participated the in Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap, which sends cookies made by food bloggers all over the place to other food bloggers.

The gist of the whole thing is that each blogger is assigned to three other bloggers, and they make a dozen cookies for each of the people they're assigned to.  (What an awkward sentence.)

I received the names of three bloggers to send my cookies to, and three other bloggers received my name, basically. 

It was really fun getting cookies in the mail, and everyone that sent them to me went all out!

Allison of Sushi Day sent me FOUR varieties of cookies: 


Pistachio cookies, chocolate peanut butter cup cookies, date nut bars, and refrigerator cookies.  I was so surprised to get so many, and they were awesome!

Sara at Sara Ran Away with the Spoon sent me some ridiculously good citrus butter cookies that were in an adorable box AND individually wrapped!



And last, but most assuredly not least, Brett at Green Thumb White Apron sent me ridiculous, RIDICULOUS shortbread chocolate chip cookies and these savory shortbread cheese cookies.  Dennis and I nearly came to blows over the cheese ones -- they were some of the best things I've ever had.  I can't wait for Brett to post the recipe for these.


As for me, I took a recipe out of the Mrs. Fields Cookie Book.  These Double Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies were pretty good.  (They were no cheese biscuits, though!)  Instead of using chopped chocolate, I used chips, and these would for sure be a nice addition to any holiday cookie exchange!


Double Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 3 dozen cookies


Ingredients



2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda 
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup butter, softened
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup white chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 300°F.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.  Mix well and set aside.

Blend the sugars in a large bowl using a mixer.  (I used my KitchenAid.)  Add butter and mix until well combined.  Add eggs and vanilla and beat at medium speed until the batter is smooth.

Add the flour mixture and the two chocolates to the sugar mixture and blend at a low speed until just combined.

Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.  Bake 23-25 minutes.  

After the cookies are baked, transfer them to a cool, flat surface.





The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap 2014